Friday 25 June 2010

I must have a fix or I get the bends


Just the other day I was interviewing someone for a blog for my company Alchemy Films and ended up having one of the most interesting conversations I have had in a long time.
Dennie Pasion is a hair & make up artist with Bareface in Dubai and we recently did a beauty shoot with her. I wanted to have a chat to her about what inspires her creativity and ended up having dinner and a long chat with her at a restaurant in JBH hotel. The football was obviously on, but we had tea and chatted about life, God and all things spiritual with not even a single glance to the match on the 4 screens that surrounded us. My kinda gal!

Dennie lives in a world of shapes, colours and sounds and if I had to describe her, it's as if a 14 year old girl inside is swinging gently on a swing in a beautiful white dress while the sun beams through the trees and dances off her face. She describes things using words such as "tumble, gurgle, scratch, shy, unaffected, capture, ooze, sensual and magic".

Coming from a person who loves sounds, shapes, smells and colours - it's refreshing to sit with another person for a few hours while they describe their experiences in a language that you can understand.

Dennie is involved in all sorts of creative projects including Petcha Kutcha - this is a creative platform which means "The sound of conversation" in Japanese. The image above comes from her Fame Virus series shown at the event.

When I asked her what keeps her inspired in the concrete jungle, she tells me about how she loves to surround herself with young people. "The truth is when people reach a certain age they start conforming and then I move away and find myself surrounded by a newer, younger group of friends, until THEY start to conform!". She continues to tell me that "a series of life experiences encapsulated in a single word, hairstyle, lip colour and she is a compelled addict that must have a creative fix or she gets the bends."

"It's up to YOU to make things interesting, create your OWN magic."

We end off talking about the griffin dragons surrounding London, her experience of being blessed in a church and why she gives beggars money in London just to hear them say "God Bless you darling" because she appreciates receiving the blessing from them so much!

Oh how I love interesting and refreshing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment